1. The Code administered by ASAI is based on the principles established by the International Chamber of Commerce. These require that all marketing communications
should be legal, decent, honest and truthful
should be prepared with a sense of responsibility to consumers and to society
should respect the principles of fair competition generally accepted in business.
2. The Code applies to most commercial marketing communications and to sales promotions that promote the sale of goods or services. See Section 1 of the Code for full details.
3. The Code contains a set of General Rules and these are supplemented by additional requirements for particular products or sectors. In general terms, the rules are designed to ensure that marketing communications do not mislead or cause general offence.
4. The same principles apply to sales promotions such as special offers involving vouchers, coupons or samples, reduced price or free offers, prize promotions and competitions. The detailed rules for such schemes are set out in the promotional marketing rules of the Code.
5. The Code is applied in the spirit as well as in the letter.
6. The Code is as set out in Chapter 1 of the Manual of Advertising Self-Regulation.